- Associate Editor
- IEEE Transactions on Acoustics,
Speech, and Signal Processing, 1987-1989.
- IEEE Transactions on Neural
- IEEE Transactions on Image
- IEEE Transactions on Pattern
Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 1996-1999.
- Computer Vision, Graphics and
Image Processing: Graphics Models and Image Processing, Academic
Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 2001-2004.
- Board of Governors, IEEE Signal Processing Society, 1996-1999,
Multimedia Steering Committee, IEEE
Signal Processing Society, 1999.
- Vice President Awards, IEEE Signal Processing Society, 2002-2004.
- President, IEEE Biometric Council.
- IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Pattern Analysis and
Intelligence, Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, Biomedical
Engineering, Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Neural Networks, Systems,
Man, Cybernetics, and Circuits and Systems, Proceedings of the IEEE.
- Computer Vision Graphics and Image Processing, Automatica,
Intl. Jl. of Computer Vision, Signal Processing, Image and Vision
- ICASSP, 1987 - 2000, ICIP, 1994-2009
- IEEE Computer Society Workshop on Visual Motion, 1989, 1991,
- IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and
Pattern Recognition, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2002-2009.
- International Conference on Pattern Recognition, 1990,
ASSP Society Conference on Multidimensional Signal Processing, 1989,
Signal Processing Society Workshop on Signal Processing and Neural
Networks, Sept., 1991, 1993.
International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, 1990, 1991, 1992.
Congress on Neural Networks, 1993.
- Program Committee Member, AAAI-97,
- Program Committee Member, Indian Conf.
on Graphics, Vision and Image Processing, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2004
- NSF Panels to select research
initiation awards, carrier
awards, regular awards, state,
industry, university centers, SBIR awards and ITR awards.
- DARPA Panel on MSTAR Architecture, 1994, NSF/DARPA WTEC/JTEC
Panel on Digital Libraries, 1997, DARPA ISAT Panel on Dynamic Databases, 1997, DARPA/ISO Panel
on Continuous Tracking, 1998 and DARPA / IXO Panel, 2002, DARPA ISAT,
member 2009 -2012.
- Area Chair, CVPR 2008, CVPR 2009.
- Reviewer for research
proposals submitted to AFOSR, ARO, NSF and NASA.
- Member ship in
- Member, Technical Committee on Multidimensional Signal Processing,
IEEE Acoust., Speech, Signal Processing, 1985 - 1997.
- Member, Technical Committee on Pattern Analysis and Machine
Intelligence, IEEE Computer Society, 1984-present
- Member, Technical Committee on Neural Networks and Signal
- Member, Technical Committee on Multimedia Signal Processing
- Recognition at
Workshops and Conferences
- Panelist, Sessions on
Image Models, First Second, Third, Fourth and Seventh Workshops on
Multidimensional Signal Processing, New York, Oct. 1981, Lake Tahoe,
1983, Leasburg, Virginia, Oct. 1985, Lake Placid, 1991.
- Program Committee Member, Indo-U.S.
Workshop on Systems and Signal Processing, Bangalore, India, January
1988, November 1989.
- General Chairman, IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and
Pattern Recognition, San Diego, CA, June 1989.
- General Chairman, IEEE Computer Society Workshop on Artificial Intelligence
for Computer Vision, San Diego, CA, June 1989.
- Technical Program
Co-Chairman, NSF Workshop on Markov Random
Fields for Image Processing, Analysis and Computer Vision, San Diego,
CA, June 9, 1989.
- Discussion Leader, Tri-Services
Workshop on Stochastic Image Modeling, 1992.
- Technical Program
Chairman, IEEE Workshop on Neural Networks
for Signal Processing, Baltimore MD, 1993.
- Technical Program
Chairman, Second International Conference on
Image Processing Crystal City, 1995.
- Panelist, Human-Computer Interfaces,
Intl. Conf. on Image Processing, Santa Barbara, Oct. 1997.
- Panelist, 50 years of
Image Processing, Intl. Conf. on Image Processing, Chicago, IL, Oct.
Chair, Fifth Conf. On Automatic Face and
Gesture Washington D.C. 2002.
- General Chair, Intl. Conf. On Multimedia and Expo, Baltimore, 2003.
- Co-Technical Chair, IEEE Computer Society Conf. On Computer Vision and Pattern
Recognition, Washington, D.C. 2004
- Co-General Chair, IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, Oct. 2008.
- Co-General Chair, IEEE Computer Society Conf. on Computer Vision and Pattern
Recognition, Newport Beach, RI, June 2012.
- Service to the University - Has served on numerous Group,
Department, College and University level committees in USC and UMD.
- Invited Talks - Has given numerous
invited talks at Universities, Industries, and Research Centers. (Too
many to list).
at Conferences, Workshops, etc.
in IMDSP workshop, (1996), ICASSP'97 (expert summary), NATO ASI on
Face Recognition (July 1997), Norwegian National Conference on Image
Processing (May 1997), First Intl. Conf. on Audio-Video Biometric
Based Person Authentication (March 1997), OSA Annual Symposium (Oct.
1998) and EUSIPCO (Sept. 1998), Real-time Face Recognition Tracking
Workshop (2001), Events workshop (2003), NSF Biometrics workshop
(July, 2003), Interagency Biometrics Meeting (Sept. 2003) SPIE, Conf.
on Homeland Security (Dec. 2003). First US-European workshop on
Micro Air Vehicles (Sept. 2005), First Indo-US Workshop Micro Air
Vehicles (August 2005), Fourth Workshop on Auto ID (Nov. 2005), IEEE
International Conf. on Image Processing, Atlanta, GA, Oct. 2006.,
International Conf. on Image Analysis and Processing, Modena, Italy,
2007, Distinguished talks at CMU, Rutgers and Northwestern in Fall
2006, in UPenn (Feb. 2007), UIC (Nov. 2007), Noblis (Nov. 2007), Rice
University (Feb. 2008), UT Austin (Feb. 2008), Univ. of Nebraska,
Lincoln, (Feb. 2008), First US-Asian workshop on Micro air Vehicles,
Agra, India (March 2008), NC State (March 2008), Syracuse University
(Nov. 2008), DICTA, Canberra, Australia (Dec. 2008), SCIA, Oslo,
Norway (June 2009), BMVC, London, UK (Sept. 2009), Univ. of Florida,
Gainesville (March 2010), Spencer Lecture, U. of Missouri-St. Louis